Panelists Dispute Rules For Federal Aid to Arts

By Jonathan D. Trobe

Members of a five-man panel at House last night disputed the question of standards to guide support of the arts.

Daniel Robbins, assistant curator of the Guggenheim Museum, declared that subsidies to the artist "would be because it would involve up rules and standards where do or should exist.

the government to foster art, exactly would it foster," he asked. A producer? Can it arrive definition through an agency like Bureau of Standards?"

The last 75 years have taught us that are no general rules," he said. Duchamp's 1917 procelain of a urinal (entitled 'Fontaine') a terrific kick in the pants for Since "only art defines art," it be extremely difficult for the government to determine a support policy. And so," said Robbins, "let us devise to stimulate the artist's market tampering with his product." tax concessions, more government commissions, student grants, indirect encouragement of American art.

Ad Reinhardt, a distinguished painter, disagreed with Robbins, arguing that "the government should move in directly and clean up the corruption in the art market. There is public consensus on acceptable standards, he asserted. "What we need is a federal bureau of the arts, and art anti-trust suits to protect free enterprise in this business."

Had "Stifling Influence"

When Robbins pointed out that in the past official art-promoting institutions like the French Academy had a "stifling influence" on art, Reinhardt replied that "the artist's relationship with the market place is a lot unhappier than his relationship to government may have been in the past."

Clement Greenberg, noted author and art critic, found that the difficulty of defining standards varies with the form of art. While he sanctioned federal support in architecture and music, "the disastrous record of the Guggenheim Fellowships in painting and sculpture makes me doubt that support would be a good idea in those areas." Instead he urged more state and local action.

To this, architect and theatre director Hermann Herrey was rather cold. He said simply that "only the most inept government would interfere with the artist while interfering with the market."

Marshall Cohen, assistant professor of Philosophy, moderated the discussion. A further interested party was the Young Americans for Freedom, who picketed the hald and distributed leaflets preaching that subsidies imply political control.

Today at 2:30 p.m. the third and last Arts Festival panel will discuss how public support can be made to work.

Had "Stifling Influence"

Had "Stifling Influence"

Had "Stifling Influence"

Had "Stifling Influence"