Penn Beats Heavies; Lightweights Sweep Yale and Princeton

By C. BOYDEN Gray

Overstroked all the way by an amasingly durable Penn eight, the varsity heavyweight crew went down to defeat by a deck length at the hands of the Quakers Saturday in the Adams Cup at Annapolis.

Navy, who won last year's race and also the Eastern Sprint championships, came in third.

The lightweight crews, meanwhile, continued their winning ways, sweeping Yale and Princeton on the latter's course Saturday. Coach Larry Coolidge's oarsmen were never in any trouble as they prepared for the eastern championships at Worcester this Saturday.

The Crimson took the lead at the start in the varsity heavyweight event at Annapolis and built it up while understroking Penn by about three strokes at a 31-32. Despite the high stroking however, Penn still managed to start the sprint with as much as 3/4 of a mile to go pushing the stroke up to a 37.

Their lead dwindling, the heavyweights began their sprint effort with a 1/2 mile left. The Quakers were able to match the Crimson stroke for stroke down to the finish, eventually winning by eight tenths of a second in 3:52.2. Both crews finished the race at a 39.

JV's Outstroke Navy

The JV's were on the winning end of much the same situation in an earlier race. Behind for the body of the race, stroke Dick Masland sprinted past the Middles at the finish, also for a deck length victory, in 9:10.2. Penn came in third, about three lengths behind the leaders.

Coach Harry Parker's freshmen, recoiling from last week's loss at Princeton, took their race by two lengths over Navy and Penn.

The varsity lightweights at Princeton won easily in what turned out to be a contest with their own JV's. Winning by a length and a quarter, they turned in a time of 6:42.5 over the Henley distance, just seven tenths of a second faster than the JV's who won by two and a half lengths.

Despite Saturday's loss, Coach Harvey Love's heavyweights will still be a strong contender for the EARC Sprint Championships at Worcester this Saturday. Navy was the winner there last year, but hasn't shown much this year.

The favorite at the sprints, however, will be undefeated Cornell. After knocking off previously unbeaten Yale Saturday, the Big Red stand out above all the eastern crews.