No Harvard Elephant Ready for California; HERC Seeks Finances

All students interested in seeing Harvard's banners carried in the first American inter-collegiate Elephant race May 11 in Fullerton, Calif., are urged to join with officials of the Harvard Elephant Racing Club in a crasn program to field a Crimson Elephant. The HERC can be reached at KI 7-2311.

According to sources close to the HERC, the University probably will not be able to help with the financing of a Harvard entrant. However, it is possible that the Friends of Harvard Elephant Racing may be able to foot part of the bill.

The Crimson will probably have to rent an elephant from a movie supply house in California, although one member of the HERC through it would be nice to march the entrant through Harvard Square to "build school spirit." Host School Orange State in Fullerton, Calif., has disclosed that they will hire both an elephant and a mahout.

Meanwhile, Coast Guard officials are apparently planning to ship their elephant "Whitey" by flying box car to the West Coast, Legend has it that the Coast Guard acquired their big pet as a gift from the Ceylonese people three years ago.

Race officials in Fullerton indicated last night that several TV networks are interested in covering the historic occasion. We wouldn't miss it.