Spring Squads Select Captains

The varsity tennis team has re-elected Paul Sullivan of Belmont as captain for next season. He will be playing his third season for the varsity.

Playing number one singles and doubles this spring, Sullivan was ranked fourth among New England amateur performers. He teamed with sophomore Frank Ripley to capture second place in the New England Intercollegiate Tournament.

The Crimson carried an undefeated Ivy League record into its final two matches before getting routed by Princeton, 9-0, and Yale, 8-1. However, the team expects help from an undefeated Yardling squad.

Sullivan also played number two on the Crimson's intercollegiate championship squash team this past winter.

Ed Hamlin, a standout at distances ranging from 600 yards to two miles, will captain the varsity track team next season. He succeeds the graduating Mark Mullin who earlier this week was named recipient of the Bingham Award.

Hamlin is the fourth athlete in Harvard history to captain both the cross-country and track squads. Along with Mullin and Ed Meehan he led the cross-country team to eight won, one lost record last fall.

Running against Army this winter Hamlin set a Briggs Cage record in the two mile with a 9:25.4 clocking. His top performance thus far for the Crimson came in this year's Yale-Princeton triangular meet when he personally scored 12 points.

His home town is Fresno, Calif.

A pillar of the Crimson's rugged defense will captain the varsity lacrosse team next season. Al Straus, a junior from Chicago, will be playing his third year of varsity lacrosse.

Straus succeeds Grady Watts, the highest scorer in Harvard history. Playing the defensive crease position, Straus was instrumental in maintaining the Crimson's record as the top defensive team in the Ivy League. The varsity finished tied for second in the title race.

Although he faced some of the largest football players in the league--without pads--Straus is known as a real "socker." "When he gets going he just knocks guys down," one teammate recalled with a smile. Straus also scored two goals and one assist this past season.