Events for Today Include Panels, H-Y Game, Dances

Today's schedule for alumni will be jam-packed with Commencement week events: two sets of symposia, Harvard ROTC commissioning, the Law School alumni luncheon, the annual Harvard-Yale baseball game, and Glee Club and Band concerts all take place today.

In the morning two pairs of discussion-symposia focus on science in American national policy, music today, some new frontiers in scientific research, and architecture and city planning. At 9 a.m., in Fogg Large Lecture Room, Jose Luis Sert, dean of the Faculty of Design, and three 25th reunioners--W. Brooks Cavin, Jr., Robert A. Little, and William Bentinck-Smith--will view urban planning with special reference to the University.

Also at 9 a.m., for those who are up, two Harvard professors and two members of the Class of 1937 will explore new frontiers in science, at Burr B. Edward H. Ahrens, Jr. '37; I. Bernard Cohen '37, professor of the History of Science; Robert P. Levine, associate professor of Biology; and Fred L. Whipple, professor of Astronomy, will speak.

Define Role of Science

At 10:20 a.m., in Paine Hall, G. Wallace Woodworth, James Edward Ditson Professor of Music, will moderate a three-man panel on the status of that art today. At the same time, but in a different place (Lowell Lecture Hall, or Burr B in case of rain) a distinguished group of scientists will define the role of science in U.S. policy.

Speaking will be: Gerard Piel '37, publisher of Scientific American and this year's Phi Beta Kappa orator; Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry; and Harvey Brooks, dean of the Engineering and Applied Physics faculty.

Good-bye to Harvard

The senior class will say its traditional farewell to the College at 10 a.m. exercises in the Sever Quadrangle of Harvard Yard (Lowell Lecture Hall if it's pouring). The program will include the usual humorous and serious orations and the class poem.

The sixth annual joint commissioning of Army, Navy, and Air Force ROTC officers will follow at 11:45 a.m. in the Loeb Drama Center. Rear Adm. W. B. Siegiaff, USN, whose son, Peter M. '62, will be commissioned as an onsign, has been named principal speaker.

Archibald Cox, solicitor general of the United States, will deliver what may well be a major Administration address at the annual combined luncheon of the Harvard foundation for advanced study and research and the Harvard Law School alumni association, at noon in Harkness Quadrangle of the graduate center.

Also scheduled to talk to alumni from four of the University's graduate schools: Leonard Carmichael, secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. At the luncheon a gift of more than $60,000 from the Class of 1912 will be presented to Dean Erwin N. Griswold--the largest 50th anniversary gift to the Law School ever.

For the sports fans among the alumni there will be that diamond classic, the Harvard-Yale baseball game, at 3 p.m. on Soldiers Field. The Crimson, a close third in the Eastern Intercollegiate League, boasts an overall 13-4 record against the Elis' 17-10 season total.

And, of course, no Commencement week would ever be complete without a Glee Club and Band concert. There's one at 3:15 tonight in the Teroentenary Theatre of the Harvard Yard. In case of rain, go to Sanders Theatre.

To wind up a hoctic but memorable day, the 25th reunion class will hold a dinner dance at Soldiers Field. Other alumni plus seniors will dance in the Lowell House courtyard.