Crime and Punishment in the University

By Frederic L. Ballard jr. and Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

year a goodly number of Undergraduates violate the stern of mighty Harvard. Whether their offense is prompted by the overindulgence of an adventurous or by rebellion against a conscience, most fledgling lawbreakers eventually run afoul Administration. Student offers provoke two types of reaction from University Hall: mild annoyance and livid rage. And the full wrath of University Hall can be called upon a student whose offense may seem to hardly worth even a rebuke.

A student with a twisted sense of humor (and a bulging purse, as Harvard is rather fond of administering fines) could gambol through years of unrestrained practical and emerge without a scratch. the line between the petty prank and the felony that causes the axe to thin indeed. The Dean's Office will only smile sadly at the student who took a month's vacation to in the middle of the term, for attendance as a rule is strictly voluntary. But should a student be at his desk intently studying of Joyce he has taken from the library without signing out, he suddenly find himself on his way to Muncie, Indiana.

Among the crimes most heinous in the eyes of the University are those dishonesty or irresponsibility. Cheating and plagiarism, of course, usually result in an unexpected vacation -- and quite often a permanent one. Drunken driving bring the same punishment, as participation in any sort of demonstration. Don't bother trying to lie your way out of trouble, either; it just adds to the punishment, and the University seldom bothers with questions unless it already knows all the answers.

Severe penalties are in order for academic crimes. Yet it might come as a surprise to find that participation in the annual spring riot carries the same penalty as cheating on an exam. It does, and one principle to remember when contemplating an expedition into crime is that the College is pretty sensitive about its position in the Cambridge community. Town-gown relations are hardly as strained as those between Yale and New Haven, yet there is a definite residual feeling of anti Harvardism in some sections of Cambridge. (Translation: Don't go into the Cambridge Common at night unless fully armed and accompanied by at least two bodyguards.) The Cambridge press and Cambridge politicians have a field day whenever a Harvard student is caught on the wrong side of the law. Involvement with the Cambridge police thus means not only that you have done something illegal, but that you have become something of an embarrassment to the University. Harvard usually takes swift steps to remove such embarrassments.

The classic case is the time-honored tradition of the riot. Many great ones have taken place in Cambridge, ranging from a week-long demonstration that led former Harvard President Josiah Quincy to throw out the entire class of 1834, to the 5000-student disorder last April demanding restoration of the Latin Diploma. There are few sights more stirring than a college riot, but Harvard is not making idle threats in its pamphlet Regulations for Students in Harvard College, that the "mere presence" of a student in a disturbance or unauthorized demonstration makes him liable to disciplinary action. Several students whose only offense last April was that they watched others throw eggs at the Cambridge cops found this out the hard way.

Because of the town-gown situation, when capture becomes inevitable in the midst of a riot it is better to throw oneself into the hands of a University policeman rather than end up under arrest by a member of the regular Cambridge force. University cops are more soft-hearted, and the publicity attendant on a night spent in the Cambridge jail tends to complicate many an otherwise minor offense.

Should a hapless lawbreaker find himself faced with a night in the Cambridge jail, a call to Dean Watson will usually effect the prompt appearance of that individual, eyes swollen with sleep and sputtering curses at having been shaken out of bed at 4 a.m., to post bond for you. Harvard never lets one of their own sit in jail, and the University does not take disciplinary action of its own until the courts have completed trial and rendered a verdict. (The knowledge that the University has administered a penalty, the Deans fear, might unfavorably prejudice the student's case in court.) Do not take false assurance from the delay, however; the University is merely biding its time before it rises to heap coals upon the fire.

Withholding punishment in such cases has another advantage for the University. Harvard took immediate action this spring when federal authorities arrested an undergraduate of charges of distribution of narcotics. After his trial, the requested that the student leave the state. Since this sentence necessitated his withdrawal from the University, the Dean's Office was spared the trouble of taking disciplinary actions of their own.

Crimes of such a nature are at Harvard. Far and away the most common cause of arrest is an disturbance of the peace. Traditionally, the most prevailent offense involving undergraduates is shoplifting. Unless the petty thieves are unusually ambitious, shoplifting offenses rarely into the local courts. But the action is always severe: a for at least a term is virtually demanded. Oddly enough undergraduate robbery is against a single store--the Harvard Cooperative Society. As one Senior Tutor put it, "The to be the father-symbol for every undergraduate who wants to rebel against his parents."

Of course, there are many which have nothing whatsoever to do with the outside world. And evils involving contact with Cambridge, these wholly internal can be very tricky in one aspect is not at first obvious that them are as serious as the University makes them out to be. illustration is the University's attitude toward violations of the governing women undergraduate dormitories. The student caught in a breach of these rules might well argue one does is much more important than how long it takes him and, since he kept both feet on the floor the entire evening, the day he and his young lady room is irrelevant. But the University perversely refuses to see the matter this way.

Violation of parietal rules the regulations on women can easily lead to forced leave of absence, either temporary or permanent. In onee recent case, for example, in an adjacent room discovery of a student legal cup of coffee with his . Although the time was only (weekday parietals for upper- end at 7) and although there was little doubt that the had not been in the room for than a short period of time and had maintained perfect decorum, the college required him to withdraw for a full year.

Another offense that Harvard "takes seriously" is the tampering of library books, as we mentioned earlier. The College went through what Dean John U. Monro describes as a "sad and difficult period" when the undergraduate library, Lamont first opened. A number of students withdrew books under false names, forcing the College to a strict which it still maintains: any in possession of a library book not properly signed for is subject to immediate dismissal.

family of sins concerns the crimes of cheating and plagiarism.

The former is hardly a at Harvard, which, unlike , has no honor system. are rigidly supervised, and , it is exceedingly difficult successfully on an essay , the most common type in the college. Plagiarism is more risky on two counts. First, Harvard section man (a Faculty member who grades papers and tests and assists in giving a course) has many years of extremely zealous study behind him -- in other words, he has read everything. Even if he doesn't recognize the stolen passage, it is conceivable that he will notice a suspicious alteration in style when the student moves from his own work to that of someone else. And second, those who plagiarize once seem to end up doing it again and again; sooner or later the law of averages trips them up.

What does the College do to students who commit these offenses, or the less serious misdemeanors? For Radcliffe girls, the favorite penalty for minor transgressions is restriction to the dormitory on Saturday night. For Harvards, it is removal of the bursar's card, the student's official proof that he is a member of the University. Its deprivation is an inconvenience -- without it cashing checks is difficult and borrowing library books impossible. Eventually the student must go and beg to have the card returned. The card is usually given back without undue bitterness, but the formalities require a lot of red tape, no little embarrassment, and several lectures.

Once one has transgressed beyond the confiscated bursar's card, the College has six degrees of disciplinary action. They are: .

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Probation: a more serious warning. Students on probation must attend all their classes and cannot participate in extracurricular activities. Among the misdeeds that incur a sentence of probation are neglect the Physical Training Requirement or failure to receive at least three C's and a D in any one term. In general, probation does not last more than one term -- after this time the student is either restored to good standing or forced to take a leave of absence. (Harvard has a milder form of the same which it uses with uppercase Called "House Warning," of probation does not exclude the student from extracurricular activities.)

*Severance of Connection: in language, the boot. This is the official label for the College action against students with grades. Anything lower than a of one C- and two D's places the student in danger of having his connection severed. This happens to approximately 130 students (including upperclassmen) each year. are almost never asked to at midyear.

*Require to Withdraw: again, the boot, applied for disciplinary reasons. Only a dozen or so leave in this fashion every year.

*Dismissal: action in serious disciplinary cases. Dismissal must be voted by the entire Faculty, and has not been administered since .

*Expulsion: the gravest possible, it too must be voted by the Faculty. When a student is expelled, his name is removed from all university records, and he may never return. There has not been an expulsion for more than twenty years.

With the exception of the punishments, discipline at Harvard is meted out by a group called the Administrative Board. In to the various Deans (of the of Students, of Freshmen) the Administrative Board includes who together hold a set of which is unique to Harvard nine are the Senior Tutors of the Undergraduate Houses, the dormitories in which students of their freshman year. The student has little contact with the Administrative Board. But student engaged in a career of undergraduate crime the Board judge and jury. Beware.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.

*Admonition: a formal warning.