Candidates Maneuver In Senate Race

Eddie vs. Teddie:

By Alvin P. Sanoff

In Thailand U.S. Marines stand watchful, waiting.

At the Berlin Wall the tension mounts.

And in Boston, what may prove to be the bloodiest battle of them all, began in earnest last Wednesday afternoon.

Several months ago the 160 block on downtown Boston's Tremont Street housed two empty store fronts.

About a month ago one of these gapingly barren windows became cluttered with photos of a young man named Edward M. Kennedy, candidate for the United States Senate.

Last Wednesday came the finishing touch, for next door to Edward M. moved Edward J., Edward J. McCormack that is, Kennedy's bitter rival for the Democratic party's nomination to the United States Senate in the September 18 primary.

McCormack, Massachusetts Attorney General and nephew of Speaker of the House John McCormack, hurdled a challenge at the President's younger brother, a challenge to debate with him "on radio, on television and in person."

As a few hundred of his supporters cheered him on, the smiling State Attorney General told the crowd, "if nomination and election to the U.S. Senate can come about from pressure and power politics, the very foundation of Democracy has been cut away. We cannot permit this to happen, and together we will not let it happen."

Running as "the qualified candidate" in contrast to "young Kennedy's inexperience, "McCormack said, "I have noted that Teddy has on several occasions had excuses why he can't face me and other candidates in debate. Will he find a plausible excuse this time?"

After he had finished speaking, McCormack stood in front of his headquarters and greeted the passing throng, while a small number of his youthful cohorts paraded with placards inscribed "Vote McCormack for U.S. Senate; he has done more than the man next door."

The Kennedy headquarters seemed unperturbed by the goings on at their neighbor's place. Nevertheless, Stephen Smith, Ted Kennedy's brother-in-law, was standing on Tremont Street, comparing the window displays of the rival candidates.

These next two months may prove to be among the most exciting in Massachusetts' long and colorful political history. The battleground on Tremont Street is only the beginning.