Poetry Judges Pick Winners In Contest

Dabney Stuart, an instructor in English at William and Mary College, has won first prize in the Summer School's poetry contest. Stuart's collection of poems, entitled "The Fair," was picked from 62 entries.

Stuart is a graduate of Davidson College in North Carolina and is working towards his M.A. at Harvard this summer. His poems have been published in the anthology "Southern Poetry Today", and in "Epos," "Impetus," Half-Moon," and Lyric.

Stephen Schur, a senior at Middlebury College, copped second prize, in the contest. He is a resident of New York City.

The judges awarded two third prizes, one to Edward two third prizes, one to Edward Ochester, and one to Conrad Geller. Geller is head of the English department at Nashoba High School in Bolton Mass. and is a member of the English Institute for High School Teachers at the Summer School. Geller is a graduate of Harvard College and received his Ed. M. from Fitchburg State Teachers College.

The winners were announced yesterday, and each student read selections from his work at the Wednesday afternoon poetry reading. The judges also awarded honorable mentions to Robert Mariani, Chanah Faerstein, Louis Felstiner, and Alexandra Cortesi.

Judges for the contest were Dean Clark, Professor John C. Enck, Professor Dr. Harold C. Martin and Assit. Professor Edgar Rosenberg.