Famed Harvard Band Makes Debut Today

The Harvard Marching Band, 130 or so strong, takes to the field today in its first appearance of the season.

For those who have not seen the Harvard Band before, this will probably be a bewildering experience. They do not march like other bands; in fact there is a question as to whether they march at all. This will be brought sharply into focus by the opposing Lehigh Band, which is well-known for its precision, if somewhat unordinary drills.

Director Jim Walker has 74 lettermen returning, including all but one of his soloists from last year. Approximately 60 freshman will be making their first attempt in band formations. The formations are tricky--to figure out. But the effort is usually worth it as each one has a hidden meaning.

Although they do not march like Ohio State, there probably is no band in the country that can offer as fine a musical show, so by all means plan to stick around at halftime for the festivities.

If you do not make it to the game, you can catch a glimpse of these fearless musicians as they parade through the Square at 11 A.M., snarling traffic, breaking drum sticks, and giving a memorable rendition of "10,000 Men of Harvard."