Mrs. Bunting Not Alarmed By Parietals

By Bruce L. Paisner

President Bunting said yesterday that she has "no cause for unusual concern" about the activities of Radcliffe girls in Harvard Houses during parietal hours.

"I have no indication that there has been any serious trouble," Mrs. Bunting said in an interview. "The situation last year did not seem any different from previous years."

"Of course I don't go through the Houses on Saturday night, and I haven't been making a special point of talking to girls about the subject," Mrs. Bunting said, "but Radcliffe College should not ask what everybody is doing every minute."

No Hesitation to Act

She stressed, however, that if she thought anything harmful were happening to Radcliffe students, she "would have no hesitation in taking immediate action."

"Right now," Mrs. Bunting said. Radcliffe does not intend to make any complaint to Harvard and has no plans to launch a campaign for reduction of Harvard's parietal hours."

Mrs. Bunting admitted that she does not know a great deal about Harvard's parietal rules, but she indicated that Dean Watson's stated concern has given her some cause for worry. She said she plans to seek more information on parietal hours.

Causes for Concern

She stressed, however, that much of the Harvard Dean's concern could have been touched off by the country-wide publicity that the problems of pre-marital sex have received in the past few years.

Mrs. Bunting said she has had no reason to question Radcliffe's liberalized parietal rules. "As far as I know they are working smoothly and being respected," she said. Last spring, each dorm was given permission to allow men in girls' rooms for up to 25 hours a week.