CHECK MATE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am glad to see that the discussion of parietal regulations in the Houses at Harvard has come out into the open. I welcome the frank editorials and letters. Dean Monro and Dr. Binger have written thoughtfully and with tolerance. What is needed now is full discussion of facts.

The idea that a student's "room is his castle," that he can shut the door and do what he pleases is false. It is not his room; it has been assigned to him by the College as a temporary domicile and the College is responsible if illegal acts take place in that room. Fornication is still against the law in Massachusetts. Harvard has to uphold the law.

Another obvious misconception expressed on the CRIMSON editorial page is that love and lust are synonymous. Dr. Binger points out the difference; when boys grow up to be men, they may understand what he means.

The present parietal regulations should be so simplified that infringement is obvious and enforcement easy. Stanley Cobb '10, M.D. '14   Bullard Professor of   Neuropathology, Emeritus