Whites Might Be Excluded From AAAAS

Epps Says Clause Bars White Africans

By Hendrik Hertzberg

A spokesman for the Association of African and Afro-American Students indicated yesterday that the Association's membership clause would bar whites who consider themselves Africans from joining.

Archie C. Epps 2G, a founder and leader of the group, said it was his understanding that white Africans "decline themselves out of the organization because of their claim to be of European descent."

One controversy surrounding the group's request for University recognition has been the question of whether white Africans who are opposed to colonialism and racism could join. The membership clause reads: "Membership of the Association shall be open to African and Afro-American students currently enrolled at Harvard and Radcliffe."

Last Thursday the Faculty Committee on Student Activities postponed action on University recognition for the group. However, the has been allowed to use University rooms and was given the right to solicit members on registration lines this Fall.

Attend Meeting

The Association held its first membership meeting of the yesterday in the Quincy House Junior Common Room. About 35 people

No reporters were permitted to cover the meeting. A motion was passed declaring that the members would decide at the beginning of each particular meeting whether news media would be permitted. Another motion was then passed, with one dissenting vote, to exclude coverage of yesterday's meeting.

After the metting, however, publicity chairman James W. Wiley '65 issued a press release detailing the Association's plans for a W. . B. DuBois memorial day Nov. 1.

According to the release, the group will hold a meeting to honor DuBois, the Negro writer and sociologist who died August 27 in Ghana. DuBois was a member of the Harvard class of 1890.

Attend Meeting