Rights Group Will Protest Wallace Talk

CRCC Also Projects Rally at Briggs Cage

By Hendrik Hertzberg

Civil rights groups plan to stage what they hope will be a massive demonstration and rally on Nov. 4, the CRIMSON learned yesterday. The mass meeting, organized by the Harvard Civil Rights Coo-ordinating Committee (CRCC), will compete with an address by Gov. George C. Wallace of Alabama.

CRCC has scheduled one prominent civil rights leader to speak at its meeting, and hopes to get "one or two more." The civil rights leader is the Rev. James Bevel, a member of Martin Luther King's Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

A spokesman for CRCC, Helen S. Garvy '61, said yesterday that demonstrators will picket outside Sanders Theatre, where Wallace is speaking, and then march to the rally. She said the CRCC hopes its rally will outdraw Wallace's speech.

No site has yet been chosen for the CRCC gathering. Lowell Lecture Hall is under ocnsideration because of its proximity to Sanders, but CRCC leaders fear it may be too small, according to Miss Garvy. More likely, the rally will be held in Briggs Cage or outdoors near Dillon Field House.

Bevel was one of the organizers of last spring's demonstrations in Birmingham, Ala. He also spoke before 7500 people at a civil rights meeting in Boston Common last May 12.

No admission will be charged for the CRCC rally. However, the rally's organizers probably will "pass the hat" for contributions to the Student Non-violent Co-ordinating Committee.

The Young Democratic Club of Harvard and Radcliffe, which split over the invitation to Wallace, meets tomorrow night to elect a president. T. Jefferson Frazier '64 resigned as club president last week in, protest of the executive committee's decision to extend an unqualified invitation to Wallace. Burt L. Ross '65, Frazier's leading opponent, was appointed to fill his place.

Some club members have reportedly asked Louis Beer '65, to res for the post, but few anticipate that Ross will be defeated.