Crimson Ruggers to Battle Clever Indians Today

By Susan M. Rogers

The Indians should expect a real run for their wampum as they do battle with the Crimson ruggers this morning. The first phalanx faces off at 11:30 a.m. on the Rugby Field behind the tennis courts as Soldiers Field.

Practice this week was excellent, ending in a victorious scrimmage with the Business School ruggers. The Crimson scored four times and thrashed them thoroughly. Practice concentrated on the rudiments of play (such as the rugby tackle) rather than teaching the game to newcomers. Passing and catching should also be more co-ordinated this week.

"We're playing more like a rugby team all the time," rejoiced scrumhalf Ray Vickers whose return this week is a source of optimism, giving a general lift to the entire squad.

Unfortunately illness and injuries have depleted the ranks of its regulars, resulting in a new lineup. Badly bruised Bill Pfeiffer, who was essential in Crimson lineouts, will not be able to play. Injured ankles, chipped heel bones, and strep throat have incapacitated several other valuable ruggers.

Nevertheless, optimism prevailed. New in the lineup are Chuck Strozier at lock, freshman Bill Bunting in the second row, and Quentin Spector back in the first string as wing forward.

Harvard may have trouble finding another fifteen for the second team, which is scheduled to begin play at 9:30 a.m.

Dartmouth traditionally plays good rugby and reputedly fields a clever side. However, they are not as "fit or athletic" as the Crimson, according to a Boston player who played them two weeks ago in a tie match.