Velluci Plans Monday Freedom Square Rally

Will Compete With Wallace and CRCC

Alfred E. Velluci, controversial Cambridge city councillor, will hold a political rally on Monday night at 7 p.m. in Freedom Square, he announced yesterday.

Also planned for Monday night is a speech by Governor George C. Wallace of Alabama, sponsored by the Young Democrats in Sanders Theatre at 8:30 p.m., and the protest rally of the Harvard Civil Rights Coordinating Committee, set for the Cambridge City Common at 7:45 p.m.

Vellucci, well-known for such proposals as the conversion of Harvard Yard into the "John Harvard Memorial Parking Lot," said that his rally would be merely a wind-up of his campaign for the Cambridge city council elections to be held Tuesday. This will be an opportunity, he said, for his Harvard supporters to make themselves heard.

Vellucci Announces Plans

Several weeks ago Vellucci had announced plans for a rally in Freedom Square the same evening as Wallace's speech, in order to protest the lack of freedom for all citizens of Alabama and the governor's appearance at Harvard.

Vellucci was the sponsor of last year's council pressure which named the area of the Harvard Lampoon building Freedom Square. He is reported to have erected the sign identifying the square personally about two weeks ago.

Curtis S. Engelhard '65, chairman of the CRCC rally Monday evening, said that although his group had encountered difficulty in obtaining the use of the Common for their rally, the permission of Police Chief Daniel J. Brennan had been obtained "through the influence of Mayor [Edward A.] Crane." Mayor Crane's office said yesterday afternoon, however, that the CRCC had been refused permission to use the Common.

Bevel to Speak

The Rev. James Bevel, a member of Martin Luther King's Southern Christian Leadership Conference, will be the main speaker at the CRCC rally. Engelhard said that he has been trying to find a faculty member to introduce Bevel Monday night, but that his efforts have been unsuccessful thus far.

A University official said yesterday that the three controversial gatherings planned for Monday evening "could make it a rough night in Cambridge."