Grass

The first thing George W. Beadle did upon assuming the office of president of the University of Chicago was to issue the following

Proclamation

LET it be known by the students, faculties, staff, alumni, and friends of The University of Chicago

WHEREAS: . . . Aprill with his shoures soote

The droghts of March hath perced to the roote--Chaucer;

WHEREAS: 16 men from Joe Galatte & Sons Landscaping Firm commenced planting 1,000 pounds of grass seed on the main Quadrangle April 28--Buildings and Grounds;

WHEREAS: . . . vegetable love should grow Vaster than empires, and more slow--Andrew Marvell;

WHEREAS: Kentucky bluegrass is a beautiful deep green color. Extremely hearty (sic). Withstands winter freeze and summer drought if allowed healthy start--Montgomery Ward Catalog:

WHEREAS: The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land--Song of Solomon;

WHEREAS: The University Quadrangles constitute an intellectual greenhouse continuously producing fresh ideas in the midst of an asphalt Jungle--Office of Public Relations;

WHEREAS: What shall we do in the heat of summer But wait in barren orchard for another October--T. S. Eliot;

WHEREAS: There are 172,500 square feet of concrete walks on the main campus--University Drafting Office;

WHEREAS: Continued growth of this young grass is assured only if it is not stepped on, at all, between now and July 1st--Department of Botany;

WHEREAS: Brevity is the soul of wit --Shakespeare.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED: That young grass, like ideas, be allowed to grow freely, and without oppression, on the campus of the University of Chicago. (Signed)   George Wells Beadle, President

Harvard's approach to the grass problem has always been to put Buildings and Grounds crews at work stringing up wire fences around the green patches in the Yard, in the hope that students, like so many cows, would avoid the barriers. Harvard students, fortunately, are more imaginative than cows, and if their elders in the Administration were as original as President Beadle, the growth of Harvard grass might now be assured.