Johnson Asks Cabinet Officers, Congressional Leaders for Unity; Tells Nation 'I Will Do My Best'

President Lyndon B. Johnson met briefly in Washington last night with top advisers to the Kennedy Administration, cabinet officers, and Congressional leaders of both parties and asked them all for "unity" in the time of national crisis.

The meeting was held in the Executive Officers Building, across from the White House, where Johnson maintained offices as vice-President. After the meeting the President left for his suburban Washington home to spend the night.

President Johnson will begin his first full day as the nation's 36th Chief Executive when he talks with Secretary of State Dean Rusk at 9:30 a.m. today. Rusk and four other cabinet members had been enroute to Japan for an important trade conference when they received word of President Kennedy's death. They returned immediately to Washington and landed at about midnight.

The new President made it clear last night that he would retain, at least for the time being, the cabinet and advisors who served President Kennedy.

After landing at Andrews Air Force Base in the place that bore President Kennedy's body, Johnson made a brief and moving speech that was often muffled by the airport noises.

Johnson greeted assembled Administration officials and, with his wife at his side, stepped to a bank of microphones and said: "This is a hard time for all people. For me, it is a deep personal tragedy. I know the world shares the sorrow of Mrs. Kennedy and the family. I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help, and God's."