President Assassinated in Dallas; University Mourns Kennedy's Death

Johnson Takes Oath, Meets With Cabinet

It was reported from Dallas early this morning that Oswald has been charged by police with the murder of President Kennedy.

The President of the United States was shot and killed early yesterday afternoon in Dallas, Texas.

John F. Kennedy '40 was riding in a motorcade with Texas Gov. John Connally when he was shot in the head and neck by a sniper armed with a high-powered rifle. The President was rushed to the emergency room of Parkland Hospital, where he died at 2 p.m. (EST). Connally was reported in fair condition last night from a wound he received in his side.

The Vice-President, Lyndon B. Johnson, was sworn in as the thirty-sixth President of the United States at 3:39 p.m. (EST) on the Presidential plane at Dallas' Love Field.

Immediately after taking the oath, Johnson flew to Washington to take over the government. The new President made a very brief speech when he arrived at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland and then went to the White House to meet with the Cabinet and other Administration officials.

Late yesterday afternoon, Secret Service men and Dallas police arrested a 24-year-old stock clerk on suspicion of murdering the President. Before he was apprehended, the suspect, Lee H. Oswald, shot and killed one of more than 200 policemen moving in on him in a Dallas movie theater.

Oswald was identified as chairman of a branch of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.

Messages of stunned disbelief, over-whelming grief, and tribute poured in from world and national leaders throughout the afternoon and evening.

Former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill called the slaying a monstrous act and said "the loss to the United States and the world is incalculable." Prime Minister Home, French President Charles de Gaulle, and Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson all expressed horror at Kennedy's assassination.

Former President Dwig D. Eisenhower and Herbert Hoover both issued statements of sorrow in New York City. Former President Harry S. Truman said he was "shocked beyond words." Richard Cardinal Cushing, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston and a lifelong friend of the Kennedy family, said "This terrible tragedy has deprived our country of one of its greatest Presidents."

The body of John F. Kennedy, the youngest man ever elected to the Presidency, was flown last night to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland. He will lie in state in the East Room of the White House today, and will then be moved to the Rotunds of the Capital.

The late President will be buried at the Kennedy family plot in Brookline early next week.

The tragic shooting took place as the President's motorcade was leaving downtown Dallas on his way to a speech at the Dallas Trade Mart. Kennedy and Connally were riding in the President's bubble-top limousion. The top was left open.

At 1:30 p.m. (EST) three shot rang out from a nearby building. Two hit the President, one in the head and one in the neck, and one wounded Connally in the side.

Mrs. Kennedy, who was riding with the President when he was shot, eradied her dying husband's blood-emeared head in her arms as the Presidential limousine raced to the hospital.

The President was taken to the Parkland's emergency room, but he never regained consciousness and died within a half hour