Brandeis Scandal Panics Campus; Some Suspended

The Narcotics Division of the Massachusetts State Police is reportedly ready to make at least one more arrest for possession of marijuana at Brandeis University today.

The CRIMSON learned last night that a junior from Connecticut is expected to be arrested this morning, when he returns from home with his lawyer.

The State Police, who have now assumed full jurisdiction for the investigation, spent most of yesterday at Brandeis questioning students suspected of involvement with narcotics on the campus.

Police were originally expected to arrest about eight more students who they could not locate in last Friday's raid, but have now narrowed their search to a smaller number. Five students, one of them a girl, and a recent graduate were booked on narcotics charges Friday.

A Brandeis senior said yesterday that the campus is "about to be seized with panic." He charged that the university police, aiding in the investigation, are responsible for wide-spread fear. Apparently they summoned students for questioning yesterday directly from classes, rather than contacting them at their rooms.

Kermit Morrissey, Dean of Students at Brandeis, said that the students arrested Friday have been suspended from the campus until a November 13 hearing.

Morrissey suggested that much remained to be discovered at the Waltham campus. "I think we'll be concerned with this situation for a long time to come," he said.