110 'Cliffies Ask Rules Referendum; College May Begin 4th House in '64

Three Dormitories Circulate Petitions

Over 110 'Cliffies have signed petitions requesting RGA to hold a college wide referendum on the controversial issue of sophomore sign-out rules. This is over four times the 25 signatures required by the RGA constitution for such a referendum.

Petitions were started independently in Whitman, Moors, and Barnard. The Whitman petition, which contained 40 signatures, was left in the Edmands House mailbox of Lois M. Rieser '64, president of RGA, at about 5 p.m. yesterday.

The petitions resulted from the defeat at Thursday's RGA meeting of a motion to extend unlimited sign-out privileges to sophomores. The vote was 24-20.

No referendum could probably be held until after Christmas vacation. The date for such a vote will most likely be set at the meeting of the executive committee Monday night or at the RGA meeting Thursday.

It is uncertain what the results of a referendum would be. On the one hand, sophomores throughout the college were reported up in arms over the RGA decision. Helen S. Garvy '64, who introduced the motion, predicted Thursday that a referendum would reverse the RGA vote, which, she said, "certainly does not reflect the general feeling in the college."

On the other hand, students in many dormitories said yesterday that members of other classes did not seem to care much. And one Briggs sophomore declared that students in Briggs were "generally pleased" about the vote.

The Whitman petition was begun immediately after Thursday's meeting adjourned, and the Barnard request was circulated later in the evening.

By 6 p.m. yesterday, 17 girls had signed the Moors petition, which was posted in the dorm elevator three hours earlier. Many more signatures are expected. No plans were disclosed for its delivery.