Crimson Sextet Confronts Power-Filled Bruin Squad

Providence Game Key To Ivy Title Hopes

By Joel Havemann

Last December at about this time the Crimson hockey varsity played host to Brown, fully expecting to win without too much trouble and breeze on to the Ivy League crown. Instead, it had to fight back from a 4-1 deficit to eke out a tie, and only clinched the title with a victory in Providence later in the season.

Coach Cooney Weiland has no delusions of supremacy this December. He realizes that the Bruins are his strongest Ivy challengers and will count on getting the best efforts out of his players in tonight's game in Providence. His squad is at full strength and has to be rated a good bet to win the encounter.

Defenseman Mike Patterson missed Wednesday's 4-1 victory over Bowdoin due to a Charley horse but should be back on the ice tonight. Patterson's defensive skills were not needed against the powerless Maine team, but they are a must tonight if the high scoring Bruins are to be stopped. Ike Ikauniks, clubbed in the car by the Bowdoin goalie Wednesday, hasn't missed a practice, and should also be ready tonight.

Welland was disappointed with his club's sloppy performance in the Bowdoin game, but hopes the team has filled its quota of bad play for the week. The rookie line's three goals and Brandy Sweitzer's play in the nets stood out in the otherwise uninspiring game.

If a 14-0 rout of Amherst is any indication, the Bruins are not a club to be dismissed lightly. Earlier in the year, Brown topped Bowdein 5-2, the same margain by which the Crimson beat them on a bad night.

Against Boston-area clubs, Brown lost to B.C. 4-1, and came from behind to score a 4-3 upset over B.U. They led B.C. 1-0 after two periods and lost only when, the fast and strong Eagles outlasted them in the final canto.

The boys from the Baby State will be laying for last year's Ivy champs. But Harvard has indicated no plans of relinquishing that title, and could take a giant step toward maintaining it tonight.