Varsity Swimming Team Will Battle Strongest Navy Squad in History

Three Events Are Crucial

Crimson swimmers will be facing the greatest team in Navy history as they battle the Middies in Annapolis this afternoon in a meet that could easily prove the closest this season.

In their first meet of the year last week, the sailors came within a point of upsetting nationally ranked North Carolina. Pacing their effort was junior Mike Collins, a freestyle speedster whose best times in the 50- and 100-yard events are both under the present Harvard records.

But great or not, Navy is, after all, only Navy. Whatever problems Harvard may face, Navy is confronting what for them has usually been an insurmountable obstacle: Harvard. The Crimson has a natural tendency to win things like swim meets.

All-American Dave Abramson will no doubt turn in a pair of victories in the 200-yard freestyle (in which he holds the Harvard record) and the 500 free. Henry Frey is in good shape to take the individual medley, and Bill Chadsey should have little trouble in the 200-yard breast-stroke.

After the "sure" wins, however, there are an awful lot of points still up for grabs. The depth of each team is as yet untested, but past-season performances point to an equal distribution of second and third places. Barring upsets, then, victory hinges on the outcome of three events.

In diving, Harvard's Dan Mooney, at a severe disadvantage away from home, will pit his silk-smooth style against Navy ace Mike Chapman. In the back-stroke, Henry Whelchel will face a stiff fight from both Tim Beard and Bob Johnson.

But obviously the pressure will be on from the very first event, the medley relay. The Crimson will have to take at least one relay to win, and the Middies are strong in both. If Coach Bill Brooks makes a determined bid for the first relay, the race will be the most tense of the day, the winner getting a powerful point--and morale--advantage.

Whatever his strategy--and it is likely to change as the most progresses--Brooks will be looking to repeat last year's 52-42 victory. It would be the only way to prevent any inter-service jealousy when Harvard beats Army this Wednesday.