Dodd Asks Tax Cut For College Tuition Payers

Sen. Thomas J. Dodd (D-Conn.) called for a $1200 tax exemption for anyone paying college or graduate school tuition bills in a speech to the Senate Monday. Both parents paying their children's tuition and students financing their own education would be eligible for the exemption.

Dodd said in his speech that his plan would be of assistance chiefly "to persons of moderate means who want to send their children to college."

Fiscal legislation must originate in the House, but James Boyd, administrative assistant to Dodd, told the CRIMSON yesterday that the Senator plans to introduce the proposal as an amendment to another measure, rather than ask a Representative to co-sponsor the plan.

"Almost everyone wants to help higher education just now." Boyd said, "and the prospects for tax-cutting are very good too. I couldn't make a definite prediction full to whether the bill will pass, but I do think this is an ideal time to introduce such legislation."

Dodd's proposal will encounter difficulty in reaching the floor of the Senate. As is tax measure it must pass through the Finance Committee, chaired by Sen. Harry Byrd (D-Va.), a staunch foe of both tax cuts and aid to education.

Should the proposal be passed by the Senate, it would have to go to the House Ways and Means Committee before being considered by the House. The chairman of Ways and Means in Rep. Wilbur D. Mills (D-Ark.), another opponent of such legislation.

Dodd's proposed amendment conflicts with President Kennedy's proposals for aid to higher education introduced last month. The President called for a $45 million increase in scholarship loans to colleges under the National Defense Education Act, and for a study of the need for direct federal scholarships to needy students in certain fields.

Loans under the NDEA are given to students by colleges instead of by the government. Kennedy's proposal for direct grants to students has drawn considerable opposition from conservative Congressmen.

Boyd said that Dodd had not yet taken a position on the President's bill. Last year the Senator voted for a bill to provide money to colleges for scholarships and construction.

The bill passed the Senate, but the House passed another bill calling for construction grants to colleges.