Five Mauled by Tigers, Will Face Penn Tonight

By Richard Cotton

It's really too bad the Ivy League basketball season didn't end yesterday. If it had, the Crimson varsity would have finished in a tie for fourth place and owned a respectable 4-3 record, but, above all, it wouldn't have had to play Princeton.

Last night, the Tigers out-rebounded, outshot, and completely outclassed the Crimson quintet as they handed the varsity a resounding 74-45 defeat.

Princeton and Penn, which eked out a 65-62 overtime victory over Dartmouth yesterday, are now tied for the Ivy League lead with 6-2 records, and the Crimson basketball team, in all its sublime innocence, invades Penn tonight. Although the game shouldn't be a repeat performance of last night's massacre, the best the varsity can hope to do is reduce the losing margin.

Harvard did manage, however, to hold Bill Bradley, the Tigers' basketball phenomenon and Ivy League scoring leader to 15 points- the first game in which the sophomore has hit for less then 20. But, the varsity could hold little else as the other Tiger starters and even the reserves filled up the scoring column.

After jumping off to a quick lead, Princeton pulled slowly and steadily away as they hit on more than sixty percent of their inside shots in the first half. The Crimson responded to this fine play with sloppily passing, hurried shots, and extensive fouling, and at the end of the half, the Tigers owned a 43-19 lead.

Varsity Play Improved

The varsity's play improved somewhat during the second half, but nothing could stop the Princeton drive. Bradley, who didn't take an outside shot all night, fed his teammates beautifully as they shot over and drove through the Crimson gone defense.

The game's high point man, oddly enough, was Harvard's forward Len Strand with 20 points. Strand and his co-forward Dennis Lynch accounted for three-quarters of the Crimson's points. (Lynch's 14 point effort vaults him into tenth place among Harvard's all-time top scorers with a total of 671 points ever his three varsity seasons.)

Princeton scoring, however, followed a more typically Harvard patten as three men tied for second place scoring honors behind Bradley. Captain Art Hyland, Bill Haarlow, and Bill Howard all poured in thirteen points.

Tonight, the varsity travels to Philadelphia for an encounter with a potent Penn quintet. The Quakers haven't lost to a Harvard basketball team since 1953 and they certainly don't have any reason to break their win streak this year. Sid Amira and John Willsnen both averaging 13.8 points a game pace the Penn attack and their fine outside shooting will probably give the Crimson zone defense a good deal of trouble.