Pringle to Lead Swimmers Against Tiger Team Today

By John D. Gerhart

The varsity swimming team, winner of 17 consecutive dual meets, will face its most difficult test of the season to date when it takes on Princeton this afternoon in the Tigers' home pool. Both teams are undefeated in Ivy League competition and the outcome of the contest will undoubtedly determine second place in the Yale-dominated league race.

The contest will provide ample opportunity for both coaches to display their talents at juggling lineups and producing maximum efforts from their swimmers. The Crimson's Bill Brooks is famous for the sort of manipulation of personnel that upset Yale last year for the first time in 24 years. Princeton's Bob Clot-worthy, Olympic diving champion in 1956, has been priming his men for this contest all season.

In the end, the meet's outcome may depend on the performance of Harvard's most outstanding and versatile swimmer, John Pringle. Pringle, last year's EISL individual medley champion, also holds the University records in the 200-yard backstroke and the 200-yard breaststroke.

But Princeton has some of the best swimmers in the East in those same events. Junior Jed Graef is one of the fastest backstrokers in the world. His victory over Pringle last year was the fastest 200-yard backstroke race ever produced in dual competition.

In the breaststroke the Tigers have Gardiner Green, former EISL champion and holder of a 2:17.1 time-slightly better than Pringle's own Harvard record of 2:17.8. The race between the two top swimmers could well produce one of the most exciting contests in the League this year.

Princeton also has a top-notch butter-flier in captain Jim Griffith. Griffith, Green, and Graef are all capable of swimming the individual medley, and John Andrews. John Andrews, the better of the two, reportedly has a "full list" or complete repertoire of maximum difficulty dives.

In the dive, the Crimson's Danny Mahoney and Jeff Lewy will face excellent competition in Princeton's fine pair, Scott.