Varsity Faces Princeton At Watson Rink Tonight

By Robert A. Ferguson

The Princeton hockey team has not beaten a Crimson sextet in a solid decade of hockey and it seems unlikely that the Tigers will set any winning precedents in tonight's 8 p.m. contest. The visiting team brings a 3-14 record to Watson Rink where they have never won a game.

Against coach Cooney Weiland's three strong forward lines, the Tigers will send one top-notch scorer in John Cook and a fine goalie in Bill Hill. Cook has been a unanimous All-Ivy selection the past two years and needs only one more goal to set a new Princeton scoring record.

Coach Cooney Weiland will be fielding a Crimson team solidly entrenched in first place (5-0-1), but weakened by injuries.

Goalie Godfrey Wood and defenseman Mike Patterson will be returning to the lineup, but the squad's leading scorer, Bill Lamarche, remains sidelined with a knee injury.

To compensate for the loss of Lamarche, Weiland will probably move Gene Kinasewich to the injured junior's position on the second line. With Kinasewich playing alongside Barry Treadwell and Baldy Smith, senior Dick Blakey will move into the center spot on the first line.

Blakey scored two goals against Williams earlier in the week and makes up in good stick handling what he lacks in speed.

The first line, which also includes Ike Ikauniks and captain Tim Taylor, accounted for five of the Crimson's six goals Wednesday. They will have a much tougher time against Tiger goalie Hill.

Hill held the Bulldogs of Yale scoreless earlier in the week, enabling Cook's lone score to win a 1-0 contest. But Cook will be playing against All-American Dave Johnson tonight and a varsity team hasn't been held scoreless in recent memory. Princeton's win over Yale was its first in ten outings.

The Crimson should top Cook, Hill and the lesser Tigers by three goals to win their 20th victory over Princeton without a defeat.