Seymour Elected Chairman of HCUA

After a stormy five-hour session the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs last night elected Richard T. "Tom" Seymour '64, of Lowell House and Tulsa, Oklahoma, as chairman.

Seymour, who was rated as a dark horse going into the meeting, defeated John P. Russo '65 on the third ballot. John R. "Rusty" Taylor '65 and Charles F. Doran '64 were eliminated after the first two votes.

Plans to Strengthen HCUA

In his initial speech, Seymour told the Council that it had "a terrific opportunity" to permanently establish itself as "an important force in Harvard College." He said the Council would have to strengthen its ties with the House committees and the Masters if it intended to accomplish its aim.

Mentioning exam grading, the dining halls and room rents as area that needed HCUA attention, he promised to give the question of continued Harvard membership in the National Student Association "close study."

In the question period Seymour came under fire for his handling of the Lowell House dining hall study, but he said his conduct there was somewhat determined by heavy and "conflicting" pressures.

Taylor's Record Criticized

Taylor, chairman of last year's freshman council, had been considered the most powerful contender for the post. His reportedly large block of votes did not hold, however. Taylor's candidacy had brought blistering criticism from members of the council, and he was subjected to close questioning on both his record as combined charities chairman and his election tactics.

Russo, whose strong bid for the chairmanship surprised many, later gained the vice-chairmanship on one ballot, defeating Taylor and Reed H. Ellis '65.

Michal J.M. Galazka '63-3, of Quincy House and Minneapolis, Minnesota, was elected secretary, and Earl Leiken '64 of Leverett House and Cleveland, Ohio, treasurer.

The session finally ended at 2:45 a.m. with the weary Council voting a resolution of appreciation to the outgoing executive committee. Said one member, "Wow, what a night."