Winthrop, Eliot Tie for Laurels In Intramural Wrestling Matches

A bystander exclaimed that it looked like the varsity as Winthrop's finest wrestled the Eliot Elephants to a 16-16 tie in the House Intramural Championships yesterday.

Big Olney "Art" Croasdale, a scion of the varsity track team, outpointed fellow Winthrop House member David Grose-close for the unlimited weight class title. After easily conquering two other contenders in his rise to the finals, Croasdale kept Groseclose in a pinning hold for a full six seconds, but not tightly enough to make the victory immediate.

Eliot answered back to the Winthrop heavyweight sweep by winning a first and second place in the 177 pound contests. Mike Thomas took down Ormond Hammond in the last five seconds of the final match to win first place. Until that point. Thomas and Hammond had been wrestling to a -2 tie.

Winthrop's Jon Kolb won the most decisive victory of the afternoon by pinning his Kirkland contender in 15 seconds of the first period. The quick pin by the 130 pound class junior gave Winthrop the second of its two class titles.

In the 123 pound class, Eliot's John "Ken" Dane pinned John Weinstein of Winthrop to win another for the first place Elephants. Two successive times, Weinstein brought Dane to the mats only to lose his advantage when the Eliot sophomore roiled out from underneath. Dane ended the contest in the second period.

After his heavyweight victory, Croasdale commented that the competition was much more "professional" than last year because the poor wrestlers were weeded out early.