University Asked to Give Report About Foreign Scientists at CEA

But AEC Denies Security Check

By Efrem Sigel

The Atomic Energy Commission has asked the University to furnish information about foreign scientists working on projects at the Cambridge Accelerator, even though no classified work is being done at the CEA, the CRIMSON learned last night.

L. Gard Wiggins, adminstrative vice-President said late last night that the University has received the request but as yet has not furnished the information requested. He did not specify the nature of the AEC's inquiry, but said that it was not a security check of CEA personnel.

At the time the joint Harvard-M.I.T. project was established, many University officials were concerned that the $1 million Federal grant for the accelerator might involve undue government pressure on the University.

Harvard officials went to great lengths to insure University independence from the Atomic Energy Commission, and the final contract reportedly limited government power over the accelerator.

The funds to operate the accelerator are supplied completely by the government, but officials of the CEA are in control of all research carried out with the accelerator. The director of the CEA and his staff hold their appointments from the corporations of Harvard and M.I.T.

A spokesman for the AEC said last night that "virtually any research contract recognizes the possibility that classified information could be developed and that if this should happen, legal requirements regarding security classification would come into play."

But he added that when the Cambridge project was initiated the AEC did not anticipate that classified information would be developed and that "no such information has developed at the CEA to the present time." Thus, there has been no need for the AEC to require a security check of personnel working at the accelerator, he explained.