Cadets Cop Hep Meet, Defeat Varsity, Elis

By David M. Gordon

Aggrey Awori became the first triple-winner in Heptagonal track meet history and the two Crimson relay teams won dramatic victories. Army placed in eleven of the 13 events. As often happens, depth surpassed heroics, and the Cadets edged Harvard at Cornell on Saturday, 511/2 to 46.

As happened last year, Yale finished third in the meet, but the team battle was far overshadowed by some outstanding individual performances and the two relay races.

Awori was in effect a one-man team, scoring 15 of the Crimson's points. After winning the broad jump in the afternoon with a leap of 23 ft. 5 1/4 in., Awori returned that evening to sweep the dash and the hurdles.

In the dash, the Crimson sprint star broke the Heptagonal and field house records, edging Cadet Joe Almaguer in 6.1 seconds, just 1/10 of a second off the world indoor record. In the hurdles, Awori ran his fourth race of the day but still managed to tie the Heps record with a time of 7.4 seconds.

Despite Awori's performance, the most outstanding time of the meet was turned in by Yale star Wendell Mottley in the 600-yard run. Mottley breezed to a fantastic time of 1:10.1, easily a Heps record. On a miserably slow unbanked track, he passed the quarter mile mark in 48.1 seconds, itself a world indoor record.

By the time the relays approached, Army had already clinched the meet. Yet the Crimson victories in the last two events at least dimmed the luster of the Cadet performance.

In the mile relay, the Harvard team of Awori, John Parker, Keith Chiappa, and Sage McAfee, all sophomores, amazed observers by edging both Yale and Army by about a yard. The team had won only two races during the dual-meet season, yet it somehow managed to tie the Heps record in 3:21.9.

Even more surprising was the Crimson victory in the two-mile relay. Captain Ed Hamlin had been sick during the week, and passed up the 1000-yd, run earlier in the day. Yet Hamlin made up several yards in his anchor leg to edge Army by a few inches.