New Hall to Aid Shift of Officers In Holyoke Plan

By Martin S. Levine

Some University officers displaced by the planned addition to Holyoke Center will take over space made available on the completion of the behavioral sciences center, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

They will occupy labs and offices to be vacated when the departments of Psychology and Social Relations move into William James Hall, now under construction at the corner of Kirkland St. and Divinity Ave. The 20-story building is scheduled to be completed in June, 1964.

At that time, the University will begin demolition of Little Hall and Dudley House in order to construct Phase II of Holyoke Center. Occupants of the doomed buildings and of part of Holyoke Center will be forced to find permanent or temporary quarters around the Square.

Some to Emerson

Planning Officer Harold R. Goyette said yesterday that some of them would move to Emerson Hall, the basement of Memorial Hall, and other locations freed by the shift of departments. The rest of the officers will resettle in rooms that will be available before the completion of James Hall.

According to Goyette, Phase II of Holyoke Center will house the Harvard Information Center, the Cambridge Trust Company, and 10 to 15 stores. The information Center will move from Dunster St. to the two-story-high central arcade designed to run north and south through the completed building. It will have a window facing Massachusetts Ave., Goyette added.

He said that plans for Phase II were still in the preliminary stage, but that a more specific blueprint would be ready in about a month. Work is currently progressing on Phase Ib of the center.