Corbu Absent

Le Corbusier will not attend the dedication of the building which he designed, Peter D. Shultz, executive secretary of the Carpenter Center for Visual Arts, said Wednesday.

In a letter written last week, the French architect told President Pusey that his health would prevent his presence at the formal opening of the Center May 27. He is 76 years old.

The letter was a response to Pusey's invitation sent about ten days ago. Jose L. Sert, dean of the Faculty of Design, had written to Le Corbusier in January, but the architect was uncertain about his plans then.

Although the VAC was opened for classes in February, a formal dedication was scheduled for May, when it was hoped Le Corbusier would be able to attend.

The Center, constructed of concrete with large areas of glass, is located on Quincy St. between the Faculty Club and the Fogg Art Museum.

At present, only courses in visual studies and architectural sciences are offered there. Starting next fall, courses in still and motion photography will also be given.