Paul Del Rossi Pitches Against Middies Today

By Joseph M. Russin

With an unnecessary loss to Penn still sharply in mind, Harvard's baseball team journeys to Annapolis today for a game with defending League champion Navy. The contest should have ultimate significance in the League standings.

Another Crimson loss would eliminate it from serious pennant contention. A win could restore the team's position as a potential champion.

Navy, though a phenomenally consistent winner (for a college team) during the past three years, has had considerable trouble with Harvard. Last year the Middles lost 10-3 in a game at Cambridge.

Harvard's pitcher that day was Paul Del Rossi, the same boy who will start for the Crimson today. Del Rossi goes into the game with a 3-0 record and an ERA well under 1.00. While his breaking pitches were not totally effective last Tuesday against Tufts, there is little doubt that he is an improved pitcher over last year.

Navy is expected to go with Bruce Terwilliger, supposedly its ace, but Coach Joe Duff could also present Tim Myers on the mound. Last year Myers was the only man with any luck against the Crimson's heavy plate artillery, holding Harvard scoreless for six and a third innings.

Three other Middles who were bother-some last year return to the current team. Centerfielder Ray Snyder picked up two RBI's against Del Rossi and first baseman Henry Kettelhodt was two for four. Second baseman Ron Terwilliger was unsuccessful with his bat, but stopped numerous potential hits with superb fielding.

Coach Norm Shepard is expected to make no changes in his starting unit, despite the fielding lapses that provided Penn with its win Thursday.

Batting averages generally slumped this week, but several Crimson players still have highly respectable marks. Gavin Gilmor is hitting just under .400, and Tom Bilodeau and Terry Bartolet are averaging around .340. Tom Stephenson is beginning to establish himself at first base, primarily because of his improved batting accuracy. The tall football end has hit .500 this week, advancing his percentage to .333 for the year.