Lions Top Crimson, 4-1; Farber Handcuffs Nine

Columbia's Neil Farber throttled Harvard's best hitters yesterday while the Lions chipped away at Paul Del Rossi for seven hits and beat the Crimson baseball team, 4-1.

Farber, who reputedly has never lost a game in high school or college play, is as good as his record. He scattered six hits today, allowing only one extra-base blow and no more than one hit of any kind in any inning. He struck out five and walked only three.

Del Rossi walked only four himself, but three of those walks were turned into runs by the Lions' hitters. In the third inning Gene Chwerchak walked and John Cole singled him to third. Charley Butts laid down a perfect bunt single to score Chwerchak and give the Lions a 1-0 lead.

In the fourth Farber walked and Erien Bach smashed a home run to put the Lions ahead by three runs. They made it four in the next inning when Butts walked and football quarterback Archie Roberts doubled him home.

Combs Scores for Crimson

The Crimson's only score came in the sixth when leadoff man Curly Combs walked and rode home on a double by Terry Bartolet.

Except for this inning and the eighth, when Harvard got two men on base with two out, Farber completely handcuffed the Crimson. Relying solely on his "junk," the sophomore didn't throw a fast ball in the last six innings.