Crimson Trackmen Beat Crusaders by 27 Points; Hatch, Weightmen Star

By John D. Gerhart

Strong winds and blowing rain caused relatively slow times in the track meet with Holy Cross at the Stadium yesterday, but the weather could not alter the final outcome as the Crimson defeated the Crusaders 88-61. It was the varsity's fourteenth consecutive dual meet victory.

Highlighting the victory, Hank Hatch repeated the triple win he scored against Princeton on Saturday, taking first in the javelin and both hurdles events. In the 120-yard high hurdles, he sped to a superb 14.2 victory, but the strong wind prevented the time from counting as a record. His 220-yard low hurdles time, however, was a comparatively slow 26.0 seconds. In the javelin, Tom Holcombe and Hobie Armstrong took second and third behind Hatch's throw of 186 ft. 6 in. to give the Crimson a sweep of the event.

As expected, the varsity dominated the weight events, winning six of nine places including all three firsts. Art Doten started the Crimson onslaught by leading Loren Clayman and Art Croasdale in a sweep of the hammer throw. His winning toss of 174 ft. 9 in. was more than 50 ft. longer than that of the nearest Holy Cross competitor.

Sophomore weight star Croasdale won the Shot put rather easily with a toss of 49 ft. 11 in. and the Crimson's other weight prodigy, John Bakkensen, won the discuss at 166 ft. 8 in. Loren Clayman grabbed second place in the discuss to complete the 22-point weight total. Bak- kensen's winning threw was only slightly more than three feet short of the University records he set Friday at the Penn Relays.

Harvard divided the other field events with the Crusaders. Jay Mahoney won a poor pole vault contest followed by the Crimson's George Winter. Hobie Armstrong and Chukwama Asikiwe took the hop-step-and-jump. But Holy Cross took both places in the high jump and their only triple winner, Dick Malberger, won the broad jump. In the absence of Aggrey Awori, Malberger also won both sprints, though sophomore John Parker took seconds in the 220.

Two near dead-heat finishes in the distance races provided most of the excitement in the long and wet afternoon. In the two-mile, Bill Crain and Eddie Meehan far outdistanced their opposition and walked across the finish line together. Holy Cross's Tom Noering nosed out Meehan in the half-mile, though both runners were given times of 1:58.9, surprisingly good under the miserable conditions. John Ogden and Crain also did well, leading teammate John Miller in an easy sweep of the mile. Holy Cross won the 440 and the mile relay.

The freshmen also won their contest, downing the Crusaders 78-67