Med School Approves $2000 Tuition By '65

By Bruce L. Paisner

The Medical School Faculty has voted and sent to the Corporation a request for substantial increases in the School's tuition during the next three years.

Under the proposal, which is almost certain to receive Corporation approval Med School tuition will be $1750 in 1964-65 and will jump to $2000 in 1965-66. Present tuition is $1500, plus a $74 medical care-insurance fee.

George P. Berry, Dean of the Medical School, confirmed the tuition hike yesterday but refused to specify figures until Corporation action is announced. The figures of $1750 and $2000 were obtained from other sources at the Med School.

Harvard officials reportedly feel that the present tuition does not go far enough toward meeting the Med School's annual operating expenses of about $5 million. Tuition now provides about 14 per cent of the operating cost ($750,000), but officials hope that the hike will push the figure closer to 20 per cent.

About half the yearly operating costs now come from restricted gifts and the rest from tuition and unrestricted gifts.

According to the Admission Requirements of American Medical Colleges, Harvard's current $1500 tuition is $200 below the highest fee in the United States--$1700 at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons.

By 1965, Harvard could be the most expensive medical school in the country, but it is expected that several other Ivy League medical schools may follow Harvard's lead and hike their tuitions proportionately.

No rise is expected in room or board charges at the Med School. Dormitory rooms in Vanderbilt Hall now rent for slightly less than rooms in the College Houses, and board charges are the same, $620 per year.