Varsity Nine Nips M.I.T., 9-7, Stays in G.B.L. Pennant Race

Combs, Gilmor Homer

By Donald E. Graham

A generous M.I.T. pitcher and some superb Crimson relief hurling saved Harvard from the ignominy of a loss to the Engineers yesterday. The varsity came up with five runs on two hits in the eighth inning to squeak past the Engineers, 9-7.

Coach Norm Shepard had to call on his ace starter Paul Del Rossi to stop the Engineers, who have won 2 of their 15 games this year, in the ninth. Del Rossi did the job masterfully, but he still didn't qualify as the day's pitching hero.

That role unquestionably belonged to Tom Rucker, who didn't give up an earned run in 5 1/2 innings after M.I.T. jumped on starter Bill Guzzetti for four runs in the first two frames.

But for all Rucker's heroics, it looked for the first seven innings as though the Crimson were about to lose the game and its chance for the Greater Boston League pennant. A tall Engineer lefthander named Harold Branson baffled the hitters with a steaming fast ball and a slow curve until his own wildness betrayed him in the late innings.

Tech demonstrated its lack of respect for Guzzetti's 1.89 earned run average by touching him for two runs in the first. Second baseman Len Ferrari singled and went to second when Bill Groninger smashed a hit off Guzzetti's glove. After Ken Alusic popped up, Dave Dunford beat out a slow grounder to second, loading the bases. Larry Demick singled in two runs on give Tech the lead.

In the third, Tech knocked out Guzzetti with two runs on three hits to make the score 4 to 0.

Harvard got on the scoreboard in the fourth, however, as Terry Bartolet walked and Gavin Gilmor smashed a long home run to center field to break up Branson's no-hitter. Gilmor strained a leg muscle running out his hit, and had to leave the game. He should be back in the line-up shortly. The homer made it 4-2, but Tech increased its lead with three unearned runs in the fifth.

Combs Hits Homer

Curly Combs led off the Crimson fifth with a homer, and in the sixth Mike Patrick singled, moved to third on a walk and a fly ball, and scored when Ferrari misplayed Rucker's grounder.

By now Branson was visibly tired, although he continued his phenomenal strickout string. (He whiffed 12 during the game.) After getting the first two men in the eighth, he walked Combs and Tom Bilodeau and hit Terry Bartolet with a pitch. Tom Stephenson, a strikeout victim on three previous occasions, came through with a single to score two runs. Pinch hitter Gary Miller walked, and when Bartolet scored on a wild pitch, Branson left the game.

Reliefer Henry Nau was greeted by Patrick's single, scoring two runs and putting the Crimson ahead to stay, 9-7. Taking no chances, Shepard put Del Rossi in to pitch the ninth and Paul stopped the Engineers cold.

The win gave the Crimson an 11-4 mark overall and a 3-1 record in the Greater Boston League. A win over Boston College today would make Harvard a candidate for the League title.

Northeastern currently leads the League with a 5-1 mark, but the Huskies have tough games with B.C., B.U., and Tufts remaining on the Loop schedule