Amphitryon 38

At Lowell House tonight through Sunday.

By Joseph M. Russin

Amphitryon 38 is a delightfully adulterous story about gods as gods, gods as mortals, gods as lovers, and woman as Goodness. The Lowell House Drama Group's production of Giraudoux's retelling of the Amphitryon myth (supposedly the 38th version of the tale), while often sloppy and heavy, maintains much of the warmth and high spirit of the script, and is very funny.

Nothing very deep or subtle is explored in the play, just sex. Jupiter (Alex Hawthorne), having recently seduced Leda as a swan, gives his attention to the problem of conquering Amphitryon's wife, Alkmena (Nancy Wolff) as a man. But all the wiles and devices of the immortal lover fail to destroy what Jupiter calls Alkmena's "pathetically constant" love for her Amphitryon.

Jupiter's eye, and that of the audience, is constantly on Alkmena, and the highly appealing Miss Wolff richly rewards the attention. Taking full advantage of the humorous potential of ancient Greek characters conversing in mid-twentieth century American language, she is bewitching, beguiling and alluring, and altogether worthy of a god's love.

Mr. Hawthorne as Jupiter doesn't make it with this girl, and his acting may be part of the trouble. Clumsy and rarely subtle, Hawthorne makes Jupiter a rather foolish fellow without much imagination or bedroom skill.

John Graham has similar problems as the Trumpeter. His scenes drag rather badly-possibly the fault of the script. Tom Adams is a boyish and pixiesque Mercury, helpfully advising his father on the mores of mortal love.

Amphitryon (Marshall Taylor) emerges as a wooden hero, and only when angered does he contribute life to the show. The gushing Leda (Linda Thimann), however, who gives a marvelous account of her experience with Jupiter, complements Miss Wolff perfectly.

Director Tom Gutheil has set a lively, swift pace, but he should have given more attention to blocking and action. Eric Levenson's stage design is remarkably good (especially considering the limitations of a junior common room) and the lighting assists it.

The lack of Loeb polish, though, should not scare you away. With the shrouds of Reading Period gloom rapidly enclosing the College, this play offers an entertaining and charming respite from the general misery.