Second Reporting Pulitzer Awarded To Anthony Lewis, Former Crimed

J. Anthony Lewis '48, a former CRIMSON managing editor, has been awarded a 1963 Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the U.S. Supreme Court for the New York Times.

Yesterday's award is the second Pulitzer for the 36-year-old Harvard alumnus. The first came in 1955 for a series of articles Lewis did for the Washington Evening Star about a Navy captain caught in a "security" frame-up.

After managing the CRIMSON in 1947-48. Lewis went to the New York Times where he was placed on the Weekly Review staff. He was hired by the Washington Evening Star in 1952.

Former Nieman Fellow

Following the 1955 Pulitzer award, award, Lewis rejoined the Times staff. He took a year's leave in 1956 to accept a Nieman Fellowship at Harvard and study at the Law School. Since his return he has been the Times' chief Supreme Court reporter.

Other awards announced yesterday were:

Journalism: International Reporting Hal Hendrix, Fla., News, for stories revealing the Russian buildup in Cuba; Reporting under deadline pressure-Sylvan Fox, Anthony Shannon, and William Longgood, New York World Telegram & Sun, for reporting of March 1, 1962, American Airlines jet crash at Idlewild; Reporting without deadline pressure-Oscar Griffin, Jr., Pecos, Tex., independent, for publishing first articles on Billie Sol Estes.

Faulkner Novel Wins

Letters: Fiction-William Faulkner The Reivers; non-Fiction-Barbara Tuchman, The Guns of August; Poetry-William Carlos Williams, "Pictures from Brueghel"; Biography-Leon Edel, Henry James: Vol. II, The Conquest of London; Vol. III, The Middle Years.

Music: Samuel Barber, Piano Concerto No.1.

The committee did not award any prize in drama. Edward Albee's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" had been favored, but the Associated Press quoted a member of the committee as saying that "the committee felt that no play was worthy of an award. This was a poor year."