Baccalaureate Event To Take Place Today

Held on Sunday in Past

For the first time in recent memory, the traditional Baccalaureate service was not held on the Sunday of Commencement week this year. Instead, it has been pushed forward a day and is scheduled for this afternoon at 3 p.m. in Memorial Church, where President Pusey will deliver the Baccalaureate address to the Class of 1963.

The Senior Class Committee requested the change of dates in the hope of attracting more members of the class to services on Monday than on Sunday. Attendance at the Baccalaureate ceremony has fallen off in recent years.

Dean Watson said last night that the Class Committee, by shortening the length of Commencement week, also expects to draw more Seniors to the rest of the Class's activities. In the past, Commencement week has lasted for five days; this year special events have been planned for only four days.

President Pusey said that "this is the first time in my experience" the Baccalaureate service has not been held on Sunday, but added that the decision to change the day was agreeable to him.

The senior procession forms at 2:30 p.m. in front of Holworthy Hall. The march will be led by David Rockefeller'63, Chief Marshal of the Class.

Senior social activities begin tonight with a formal dance in the Eliot House Courtyard from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Members of the class, dates parents and friends will board the S.S. Yankee tomorrow night from 9 to 12 p.m. for a cruise through Boston Harbor.

On Wednesday morning, the procession for Class Day exercises forms at 9:30 a.m. in front of the John Harvard Statue in the Old Yard. The program includes the traditional serious and humorous orations, the class poem, and the passing of the class colors to the freshmen.

The commencement procession forms at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in front of Thayer Hall.