Ex-President Seymour of Yale Is Dead at 78

Charies Seymour, noted historian and president of Yale from 1937 to 1950, dies Sunday at his summer home on Cape Cod at the age of 78. Although ill for the past two years, he continued to pursue his scholarly interests.

Dr. Seymour was well-acquainted with the politics of the Wilson era. As a young professor at Yale, he was named to the American peace commission in Paris in 1919. He served as chief of the Austro-Hungarian division, and was also a member of the delegation on Rumanian-Yugoslav territorial disputes.

His reputation as a historian was based primarily on his scholarly works on United States diplomacy during and after World War I. His writings include American Diplomacy During the World War, American Neutrality, 1914-1917. The Diplomatic Background of the War 1870-1914, and Woodrew Wilson and the World War.

Dr. Seymour followed in the family tradition at Yale where his father was a professor of Greek. As president is succeeded the late James Rowland Ansail. During his term he completed an extensive building program on campus. Dr. Seymour was succeeded by the late A. Whitney Griswold in 1950.