Harvard, Yale Students to Issue New Invitations to Gov. Wallace

By Efrem Sigel

Alabama Governor George C. Wallace, a possible candidate for the Presidency in 1964, picked up support in key northeastern cities yesterday as Ivy League students rallied to provide the governor with a forum for his segregationist views.

In Providence, the editor of the Brown Daily Herald said Wallace had accepted the paper's invitation to speak at Brown Nov. 7, with the full approval of the university administration.

In Cambridge, the Harvard-Radcliffe Young Democrats last night invited the governor to debate President Kennedy's civil rights program with a Harvard faculty member. President Pusey bad said earlier the University would have "no objection" to an appearance by Wallace before a "legitimate undergraduate organization."

Decision at Yale

And in New Haven, four days of frantic maneuvering produced a "decision" by two law school groups to issue a new invitation for Wallace to visit Yale. But the groups will first seek approval from Kingman Brewster, Jr., provost and acting president, who forced the cancellation of an earlier invitation by the Yale Political Union on the grounds that Wallace's presence in New Haven might provoke violence.

Brewster is reported to be willing to reverse his original stand after widespread criticism by students and faculty. However, the law school groups may rent an outside hall if Yale refuses permission to use a university building.

If the Harvard and Yale invitations go through, the governor's rapidly expanding speaking tour of the North will include stops at Cambridge, New Haven, Providence, and Philadelphia (University of Pennsylvania). Fordham University officially "uninvited" Wallace by letter Sept. 13, after an invitation had been extended by a student group there.

Segregationist attempts to crack the solid North will not rest solely on Wallace's shoulders, however. In Princeton, the Whig-Cliosophic Society announced that Mississippi Governor Ross R. Barnett has accepted an invitation to speak Oct. 1. President Robert F. Goheen called the invitation "untimely and ill considered" and said it did not imply endorsement by the university of Barnett's views and actions.

Most of the student groups which invited Wallace cited the need to allow expression of all views, no matter how unpopular. But Yale's Dwight Hall, a student religious and social service organization, contended that "the issue of academic freedom is not in contention."

Meeting before the two law school groups reached their decision, Dwight Hall's ten-man executive committee voted overwhelmingly not to invite the governor, on the grounds that "the crying need of the social crisis is understanding, and that Gov. Wallace would not provide that understanding." Dwight Hall announced that it would sponsor a series of lectures and forums on civil rights, with representation given to segregationist views.