'Cliffe to Hike Tuition, Room Rent

By Ellen Lake

'Cliffies will have to pay $290 more for tuition and room next year, bringing the cost of a year's education at Radcliffe to $2930 for dormitory students.

At its June meeting the Radcliffe council approved a tuition rise of $240 and a $50 increase in the room rate. Harvard announced a similar increase for 1964-65 last May. Radcliffe's tuition will now be $1760, while room prices will rise to $550.

Robert J. Maguire, Radcliffe comptroller, said Radcliffe had been forced to raise its rates because of Harvard's tuition hike. Since Radcliffe gives most of its tuition dollar to Harvard, both schools must charge the same amount, he explained.

He attributed the increased room prices to the rising cost of maintenance and to the recent purchases of off-campus houses like 124 Walker St.

Although Maguire would not predict the exact time of the next increase in tuition, he said costs usually go up every two years.

Scholarship students will not be hit hard by the higher expenses, according to Mrs. Betty Lou Marple, director of financial aid. She said that the college will attempt to increase scholarship assistance proportionately.

In announcing the Harvard tuition increase last spring, Dean Ford said that the rise would help "restore the balance" among the incomes from endowment, annual alumni giving, and tuition. He pointed out that although alumni gifts have risen since the last tuition increase, operating costs have climbed even more rapidly.

Radcliffe is one of the last of the "seven sister" colleges to raise its tuition rates. Vassar, Barnard, Smith, Bryn Mawr, and Mt. Holyoke began the trend this year by increasing charges $250 to $300 each. Like Radcliffe, Wellesley will wait until 1964-'65 for a $300 rise. Radcliffe will remain the most expensive of the seven schools by over $100.