Crimson J.V.'s Trounce Helpless UMass Squad

By Richard P. Sorensen

The University of Massachusetts J.V. football team showed up at Harvard yesterday with a squad of only 15 men, and it soon became apparent that they could have used a few more.

The score tells almost the whole story--Harvard 53, UMass 0. It was so lopsided that it was embarrassing.

Harvard moved the ball around the ends, through the middle, and through the air--almost everything the three sophomore quarterbacks tried seemed to work.

Hay, Calderwood Star

Meanwhile, the defense led by Toby Hay and Dan Calderwood kept the Redmen in their own territory the entire first half and allowed them out only twice in the second half.

After receiving the opening kickoff, the Crimson ripped off 75 yards in six plays to score. Sparking the drive was quarterback John McCluskey, who completed two 20-yard passes and ran the final 13 yards on a keeper play.

If such a game can have a hero, it would have to be McCluskey. In the second half he gathered in a punt and danced 70 yards for a touchdown, leaving the last would-be tackler flat on his face after a beautiful head fake. He scampered 80 yards for another TD, and scored a fourth on a quarterback sneak.

Quarterbacks Impressive

The two other J.V. quarterbacks, Jerry Beasley and George Neville, also looked good. Beasley lofted a 45-yard pass to Richard Hudak for the Crimson's third touchdown.

Late in the game, with the demolition of U-Mass almost complete, Harvard attempted to give the Redmen a charity touchdown, but they refused to comply. Alex Kilkuskie threw a pass into the waiting arms of the UMass safetyman, who appeared to have a clear field to the goal line. He tried to cut back at the Harvard 10, however, and was brought down.