Crimson Sailors Face Elis, Tigers In Knapp Races

The Harvard sailing team sets sail, as it were, for New Haven tomorrow to defend its Big Three championship. Chances of the Arthur Knapp trophy being aboard the Crimson ship when it returns to Cambridge are slim, however

Princeton's Marshall Long and Bob Purrington finished far ahead of the Harvard sailors in last week's Danmark Trophy regatta and Yale's men will be sailing at home in their own boats and waters.

On the other hand, this year must classify as a rebuilding year for the Crimson. The three top skippers graduated last June, and this year's crew needs experience. It's still too early in the season to evaluate accurately the fortunes of the Harvard team.

The Knapp involves a modified team racing format, pitting three different boats from each school against each other. The title is awarded to the school with the highest overall point total.

Tomorrow at Yale Dave Stookey, Dave Gants, and Tim Prince will skipper the three Harvard crews through nine races. The Crimson second team will compete in the Coast Guard quadrangular regatta.