Quintet Rallies to Whip Lions, 85-71 After Fouls Cause Loss to Big Red

By Richard Andrews

The Crimson basketball team suffered a disappointing 80-77 loss to Cornell Friday, and the next night turned in an even more lackluster performance in the first half against Columbia.

But just when Harvard's basketball fortunes seemed to have reached their lowest ebb of the season, the quintet produced a dazzling 20-minute exhibition of almost flawless play which routed the Lions, 85 to 71.

Against Cornell, the Crimson started out hotter than a two-dollar pistol, as they made every shot they took in the first four minutes of play and raced into a 15-5 lead. But, as one member of the team admitted, Harvard didn't seem to believe that beating Cornell was possible. With a ten-point lead they still didn't believe it. The Big Red scored 11 straight and gradually increased their margin to 40-33 at the half, driving repeatedly through Harvard's porous defense for easy baskets.

Crimson Overtakes Ithacans

But Harvard was fired up in the second half, and overtook the Ithacans with 9:30 to play. With 3:30 left, Keith Sedlacek's jumper put Harvard in front, 72 to 70. Then the roof fell in.

As three untimely whisles blew against the Crimson in the next two minutes, Redmen Jim Maglisceau and Marty Van Leeuwen scored four points apiece which put the game on ice.

Although Cornell's height was supposed to have made the difference, Harvard outrebounded the towering Big Red 38-33. But Cornell's defense was like glue, and the Crimson missed 40 of 70 shots during the night; Cornell rank 31 of 54.

Against Columbia, Harvard raced in front, 7 to 0, but for the rest of the first half they looked awful. During one arid five-minute stretch, the team scored one field goal. Fine rebounding by Barry Williams and Bob Inman, coupled with a lousy performance by the Lions, enabled the Crimson to take out a 25-34 halftime lead.

But the second half for Harvard's devoted basketball followers, felt like the first kiss from a girl you've been in love with four years.

Harvard came out in a lone defense, and the Lions looked as if they'd never seen one before; they sank one field goal in the third quarter. Meanwhile, McClung was stuffing 'em in like Wilt Chamberlain. Sedlucok was jumping in 20-foot jump shots as if he were using radar. Williams was jumping like a kangaroo. Offensively and defensively, the quintet functioned brilliantly as they racked up 50 points in the second half and rolled up a 22-point lead until they put in their reserves.

They're Good!

The victory over Columbia may mean more to the Crimson than one entry into win column. Hopefully, the quintet has learned what they didn't seem to realize against Cornell: they're good. With a bit of self-assurance, the Crimson will bury Dartmouth here Wednesday--and may even throw a few scares at Princeton next month.