Scared Square Smokers Stop Smoking

Gum and Lifesaver sales shot up in the square this week. Haggard faces and bitten nails abounded. Informed sources reported that Cabot Hall had taken to "feminine pipes."

Everybody's stopping--smoking cigarettes, that is.

Two-thirds of the students who were asked yesterday about their reactions to the Surgeon. General's report on smoking and health said they had stopped smoking completely, cut down severely, of were planing to quit smoking after January 29.

Leavitt and Pierce and the Coop reported a slight drop in cigarette sales and a considerable rise in pipe and tobacco purchases. But the saleswoman in the Coop was skeptical. "Cigarettes will keep going down for a white--then sales will shoot right back up," she said. "That's what happened on the New York Stock Exchange."

The government report released Saturday was not the only reason given for giving up cigarette smoking. "It was the final push," reported one Cliffie who complained of a sore throat. Another girl denied that she abstained for health reasons and said that "It just wasn't a pretty habit."

Another Cliffie, who smoked her last cigarette Sunday morning, said she stopped because of "reports tobacco tante, stained teeth,--and mainly, I didn't have any more money."

Men in the College were worried about the report, too, although they seemed to favor moderation over complete abstinence. Many were cutting down or switching to pipes. "It's as investment in my health," commented an instructor who was buying $15 worth of pipes and tobacco at the Coop.

A third of the respondents showed little concern for the report. Several were quite philosophical about it. "Life isn't all that blooming precious," claimed one student taking a deep drag on his cigarette. "I want to live a short happy life," said another.