Large Crowd Sees Khans Play in Squash Exhibition

Open Champ Tops Niederhoffer

The two greatest squash players in the U.S.--and a Harvard senior wh almost as good dazzled a capacity crowd in Hemenway Gym yesterday with a display of speed and shot-making unlike any seen at Harvard in years.

U.S. Open champion Mohibulla Khan and his uncle, 48 year old Hashim Khan, traded shots for three-quarters of an hour as they split four games.

Mohibulla started slowly, whacking backhands into the tin as Hashim, three-time U.S. Open champ ran out the first two games. 15-10 and 15-12. But his shots warmed up in the third games forehands whizzed down the walls and into corners and nicks as if they had eyes. The younger man took the third game 15-13 and the fourth 15-8.

Then the two pros called it quits and began playing members of the unbeaten Harvard team. Hashim, playing at half speed, tripped number two man Romer Holleran 15-10 and then lost a 15-14 game to the Crimson player, who hit his shots excellently. Hashim then polished off Lou Williams, Harvard's third man, 15-9, 15-10.

Holleran and Williams played well, Niederhoffer in an exhibition with Mohibulla played superbly. The wasn't played under tournament the players exchanged jokes ally and there were some pecu on lets--but the shotmaking .

Niederhoffer came whizzing up from behind to catch Mohibulla at 11-11 and then won the first game. 15-12, by slapping passing shots past the Pakistani's backband.

The next two games followed similar patterns they were close until they reached then Khan took over and won 15-10 each time.

Niederhoffer seemed to be tired, but the country's third-ranked amateur surprised Khan by coming back to win the fourth game, 15-13, as Mohibulla missed a forehand smash.

The fifth game went to 10-10 before Mohibulla pulled away. A lob that died in a back corner made it 13-11, a forehand drop shot gave him match point, and he won as Niederhoffer banged a shot into the tin.