Galbraith Voices Kennedy Support

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, has called for the election of Robert F. Kennedy '48, as Senator from New York, in a letter published in the current issue of The Reporter.

In reply to a Reporter editorial endorsing Keating, Galbraith said, "One does not have to denigrate Senator Keating to speak for his opponent. Whatever [Keating's] merits, it is clear that he is not going to be a leader in solving the problems of the modern metropolitan community."

Galbraith said that Kennedy's "versitile competence combined with courage and energy is surely what the great urban complex of the eastern seaboard requires of its representatives in Washington."

Max Ascoli, editor and publisher of the magazine, in an editor's note called the Galbraith letter "a rationalization for a political ruthlessness."

Criticizing Galbraith's assertion that Kennedy would not be controlled by machine politicians, Ascoli said that he did not know who was responsible for "the chronic mess of Massachusetts politics. But certainly the eradication of corruption in state and local government cannot be counted among the political achievements of 'a Kennedy.'"