Ailing Crimson Runners Tackle Penn, Columbia

A kobbling Crimson cross-country team will try to snap a two-meet losing streak today against Penn and Columbia in New York City.

Both Captain Bill Crain and senior stalwart John Ogden have worked out sparingly this week and are doubtful performers in today's triangle meet. Crain suffered a gash on his knee in last week's loss to Brown, and Ogden has had a cold.

Even if both are able to go today, it's unlikely they'll be running at full strength. Hopefully, some of the slack will be taken up by soccer player Keith Chiappa, who ran with the cross-country team against Providence and "may run this time," according to Coach Bill McCurdy.

With or without Chiappa, McCurdy figures that Columbia won't give the Crimson much trouble. "Penn is the team we're worried about," he said--and with reason.

The Crimson topped the Quakers by one point last year when, coincidentally, Crain and Ogden were disabled with injuries. The top men on the Penn team. Dave Rick and John Jackonski, are back this year, along with sophomore Kent Thompson, who beat every Yardling except Jim Smith in last year's freshman meet.

"We don't know a lot about them, but from last year's meet we figure they'll give us a fight," McCurdy said.

For the Crimson to win, Walt Hewlett must turn in his fourth straight first place and Dave Alien, Smith, and Chiappa--if he runs--must finish in the first eight to offset the Harvard injuries.